Friday, September 19, 2008

We'll call this Spanish Rice

So I had a LOT of leftover rice one night, and didn't want to waste it, but I'm not a huge fan of rice, and don't make very many meals that include it. So I invented something to use up the leftover rice in a yummy way.

I diced some sweet onions and a green bell pepper from my garden and stuck them in a large skillet with a bit of butter. Cooked that for a few minutes, then I added the rice (already cooked) with a can of drained whole kernel corn, and a can of black beans (rinsed). Added a few shakes of cumin and some chili powder. Then I added some shredded pork that was leftover from a pot roast. I let it all cook together for a few minutes, or until everything was warm. Then we pulled out the tortillas and filled them up with the rice mixture, cheese, and sour cream. Pretty good for a last minute what-am-I-going-to-make-for-dinner and what-am-I-going-to-do-with-this-rice?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I'm impressed!

Karen said...

I used to work with a woman who kept that very mixture in her fridge for her teenage boys who always wanted an after school snack. She said with that she always had something healthy and easy for them to grab and gulp.

Linda Westover said...

This coming from thee girl who didn't like Mexican food...I'm very impressed!

Unknown said...

Wow, great job Ruthie! You've given me some inspiration for dinner sometime this week. I really need to start planning my meals.