Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Horchata!

I fell in love with this drink when I was about 14. I remember making mom try to make it with me (without any idea how to do it). It didn't turn out that great, but hopefully this recipe & instructions will help me in my next attempt! I got this off the blog I just informed you all about!

Horchata

1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
5 cups water1/2 cup milk (1 1/2 T. powdered milk + 1/2 Water)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar

DIRECTIONS: Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute. Let rice and water stand at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours. Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice. Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving over ice.

2 comments:

Rhonda Shurtleff said...

After making this last night, I would use less cinnamon but it's still fabulous!

Unknown said...

YUM - I'm going to try this for sure!