Friday, November 28, 2008

it's been a long time!

I've been MIA for quite awhile, and need to make up for lost time. We went to the home of some good friends for Thanksgiving yesterday (I've still NEVER cooked a turkey), and had a fantastic time. The food was great, the company even better, and I came away reminded of how many things I'm thankful for. Good food especially ;-)
I was asked to bring Mona's Spinach Salad, the goat cheese and fig dip, and for fun I decided to bring a sweet potato casserole. My good friend Keli turned her nose up at this, because she doesn't like sweet potatoes. Well, after last night, I think she's changed her mind! I combined a couple different recipes and created my own "hybrid" recipe, and it was FANTASTIC! I used both sweet potatoes and yams. Give it a try - you might like it too! Oh, and it even tastes good cold!

Roberta's Sweet Potato Casserole
yields 6-8 servings

For the crust:
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
2 tablespoons butter, melted

For the sweet potato mixture:
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 6 medium sweet potatoes, baked until fork tender, then peeled and mashed)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces

Combine ingredients of crust mixture in mixing bowl - set aside.
Combine the mashed sweet potatoes along with remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish.

Sprinkle the crust mixture evenly over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to set for about 5-10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Brenda Sue said...

So.... How many yams did you use? You didn't put yams on the ingredient list at all.. I'm confuzzled!

Unknown said...

I used both yams and sweet potatoes, just enough of both to equal the 3 cups I needed.

Carla and crew said...

I'm looking for turkey leftover recipes--but I guess if you've never cooked a turkey...!