Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Butternut Squash Bisque

I made this at Mom & Dad's ward cookoff. I love it, and even Mona admitted that it wasn't bad for being squash. It's even better if you remember the paprika, which I realized I'd left out when I got home that night. Savannah won't touch it, but she never tries anything I want her too. Our friends' kids loved it when we made it for them last month, so maybe it will help get you & your kids another serving of veggies.

2 Tbsp. butter
2 small onions
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
5 c. chicken broth
6 med. potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 c. whipping cream (or substitute evap. milk or half & half)
1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
Salt & pepper to taste.

Melt butter in large pan. Add onions & cook 5 min. or until soft. Add squash, broth, potatoes and paprika. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 35 min. until all veggies are soft. Pour soup into blender and process until smooth. Return soup to pan & stir in cream. Season with s&p and reheat gently. Stir in chopped chives before serving.

3 comments:

Linda Westover said...

I liked it a lot, even without the paprika. But I imagine that it will be even better with that extra zip.

Unknown said...

Squash is gross.

Brenda Sue said...

Mmmmmmmm..... That sounds good! I will have to try that sometime! Roberta, of all the weird stuff you DO like, why don't you like normal stuff like everyone else?? Hahahah, crazy girl.