Monday, October 13, 2008

Somewhat success

I don't have a recipe to post, but I just wanted to say that I made my first pie ever yesterday: the famous sourcream apple. I even made the crust. I didn't think it was going to turn out because the middle was kind of giggly and the "crumbly" topping was crumbly at all. It was more dough-like, so I just pulled apart little pieces of it and distributed it around the top. I thought I was going to be ashamed because I felt like it was a disgrace to the family name to mess up such a treasured recipe, but it actually turned out pretty well and it tasted wonderful and people liked it, so I'll call it a success.

4 comments:

Brenda Sue said...

Good for you for trying!! I won't even ATTEMPT that one on my own!! I'm sure it all got eaten anyways!

Linda Westover said...

Way to go, Eric! I know the recipe says to melt the butter for the topping; however, I usually just use room-temperature butter and cut it in with my pastry cutter. But it really doesn't matter.

Karen said...

A few weeks ago Al decided to try a pie. The filling tasted OK but the crust was definitely NOT done. He said it had baked for way over an hour. A mystery until I figured out that when he turned the temperature down from 425 to 350, he hit bake and changed the temp, but he didn't push the start button, so the oven turned off.
He tried again on Sunday and made a fabulous apple pie. Too bad our apple tree didn't produce better tasting apples!

Unknown said...

Good job bro. It takes practice and a little modification to get it just right.