Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Slacker

Yeah, that's me. I'm going to use the same old excuses of too much work, not enough time, etc. But it's true! Add to that volleyball practice 2x a week, swim lessons 2x a week, laundry, dishes, cats - you get my point. Working full-time and being a full-time mother/wife isn't easy. I somehow manage to get a home-cooked meal on the stove most nights of the week, much to the credit of my loving, supportive husband. And the other nights consist of leftovers, pizza, and homemade burritos. Good thing my family is easy to please!

My friend Laura cooked a fabulous meal for us last weekend. It was very Autumn-ish. Pork Tenderloin, roasted sweet potatoes, salad with freshly roasted beets (BLECH!). The kids ate up everything, including the beets. Don't know where that came from - clearly not their mother!

Pork Tenderloin with Cinnamon
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

* 1 pound pork tenderloin (this may be in a couple of pieces)
* 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or sherry vinegar)
* 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
* 1 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place the pork in a nonreactive roasting pan. Combine soy sauce, cinnamon, sugar, salt, sherry, ginger, mustard, and lemon juice. Stir well and pour over meat. Bake 60 minutes, basting frequently with the pan sauces, or until the internal temperature registers 145 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer. Slice pork and serve hot with the pan juices.

4 comments:

Linda Westover said...

Sounds pretty good to me...We'll have to splurge on the meat sometime soon and give it a try.
Good for your kids in eating beets!

Eric Westover said...

Why don't you free up some time by getting rid of your cats?

Ruth Sagers said...

Or, I think Dad would tell you to save yourself some money AND time and substitute your cats for the pork loin! Just kidding! I like cats, sometimes, when they're not crapping in my yard. And I don't think that they take up nearly as much time as my dogs do.

Unknown said...

The nerve! I'm telling my cats that you said that, and I'll make sure they hack up a nice, wet hairball for you to step on IF you ever come and visit.