Ahh, the joys of spring. One of my favorites parts of this time of year is when strawberries are in season. A more delicious fruit I cannot find. A friend of mine told me about this recipe, and I loved it because it was so easy, as well as so incredibly good. I have always loved strawberry freezer jam but never knew how to make it. I now have about 10 jars in my freezer, 1 in my fridge, and 2 jars already given to friends.
Here's what you'll need:
1 packet Ball "No cook freezer jam fruit pectin"
I found this in the canning section, and it's in an envelope like a salad dressing or seasoning envelope. I'm sure there are other types of pectin that will work, but I liked this one 'cause it was specific to freezer jam
Your favorite fresh fruit to yield 4 cups crushed
I of course used strawberries, but you could use anything. I made my first batch by chopping the strawberries into little pieces, but that took a really long time and made my hands tired. My second and third batches were made by puree-ing the strawberries in my blender. I found that it took about 2 one-pound cartons of strawberries to make up 4 cups of pureed fruit.
1&1/2 cups sugar or Splenda
Of course I didn't use Splenda!
5 plastic Ball 8 oz. Freezer Jars
I bought some of these freezer jars, and they worked pretty good, but you can use any freezable container, plastic or glass.
Stir sugar and pectin in a bowl until well blended. Add 4 cups of crushed fruit, and stir for 3 minutes. Ladle jam into clean jars to fill line. Twist on lids. Let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes. Freeze until you want to eat it, then refrigerate.
2 comments:
Yummy. That is the easiest and best way I've found to make freezer jam. It's just unfortunate that I don't have a full-size fridge/freezer!
You don't have a full size fridge? How sad!!!! Jordan LOVES Strawberry freezer jam. Another container that works well are empty cool whip containers. I have 6 of the big ones in my freezer. I will have to try the no cook pectin though.. Thanks Ruthie!
Post a Comment