Friday, May 16, 2008

For the coconut lovers

Made these for poker the other night, they're really good - the bottom layer is perfectly chocolatey.

Chocolate Coconut Bars

Crust:
1 stick butter melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup flour

Topping:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
7 ounces sweetened shredded coconut with 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 375. Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
Make crust: whisk melted butter, sugar and salt. Mix in egg. Mix in cocoa powder and flour until smooth. Pour in to pan and spread evenly. Layer will be very thin and that is ok. Bake for 12 minutes... NO MORE!
Make topping" whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix in flour. Stir in coconut. Spread evenly - as best as you can - over hot prepared crust. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake until top is golden and set... 15 to 20 minutes, tops!

2 comments:

Brenda Sue said...

MMMMMM..... Sounds super good!! I will have to try it, and then I will have to find someone to help me eat them.. :(

Unknown said...

I love coconut. I still haven't decided what to make for dessert for book club Tuesday night...maybe I'll have to try them!