Monday, June 25, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

I've never had spaghetti squash before. I'm not really fond of any kind of squash, and neither is Clayton, but I'm more willing to try new things in the vegetable department than he is. He's convinced that squash and broccoli, to name a few, are secretly bad for your health because they taste so bad to him. We keep getting various squashes in our Bountiful Basket, and after last week's disastrous acorn squash attempt (he hated it!), I was pretty hesitant to serve spaghetti squash. But I found this recipe online and it turned out to be delicious. Clayton surprised himself by eating not one, but two servings, and cleaned off his plate!

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
1 med. onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
fresh basil, chopped
feta cheese
parmesan cheese

I followed the instructions on the sticker label on my squash, which said to stab the squash rind multiple times, and then microwave for 5-6 minutes per pound. I didn't really know how many pounds my squash was, so I stabbed the squash, and stuck in the microwave for 15 minutes. When there was 2:46 left on the clock, I heard a noise and looked to see that the squash had erupted and the back half was split all the way open. I took that to mean that the squash was done cooking. (You can also cook the squash in the oven, either whole or split, with seeds removed, but I didn't want to heat up my house with the hot oven) Set the squash aside and let it cool.

In a sautee pan, heat 1-2 tbsp butter. Place the onion in the pan, and sautee until soft and beginning to brown. Add the tomato and garlic, stirring frequently. Do not let the garlic burn.

Using a fork or a large spoon, scrape the squash "noodles" out of the rind. If you haven't already removed the seeds, remove them now and discard. Add the noodles to the pan with the vegetables and stir to combine. Add the basil, and feta and parmesan cheese to taste.

Serve as a side dish or as a low-carb main dish. Try it, you might be surprised and actually like it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with Clayton. Don't know if I'd be daring enough to try this one - I have too many memories of squash as a child.

Ruth Sagers said...

It doesn't taste like squash though. It has a really really mild flavor. TRY IT!!!

Carla and crew said...

it really is yummy! I cook it and put our regular spaghetti sauce on it - delish! (and so good for you)