Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sunrise Blueberry Coffee Cake

I LOVE coffee cake.  I especially love Mom's sourdough coffee cake, but sadly I have been without a sourdough start for years now.  One of my go-to recipes that I use as a substitute for this delicious treat has become as much a favorite.  I'm sure most of you have seen it before, but just in case...try it, you might like it!


Sunrise Blueberry Coffee Cake

8 oz. cream cheese, softened                                                   
1/3 c. sugar                                                                              
1/8 tsp. salt                                                                              
1 T. lemon juice                                                                        
2 c. flour                                                                                  
1 tsp. baking powder                                                                
1 tsp. baking soda                                                                   
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg                                                            
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. plus 2 T. sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
2/3 c. blueberries

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.  In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, salt and lemon juice until smooth.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and salt.  In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream 1-cup sugar and butter; mixture will be dry.  One at a time, add eggs, beating well until smooth.  Beat in vanilla.  On low speed, add flour mixture alternating with sour cream.  With a rubber spatula, fold in blueberries.

Pour half the batter into prepared pan.  Spoon cream cheese mixture over batter; spread to within 1/2 inch of edges.  Pour remaining batter over mixture and smooth with a spatula.  In a small bowl, with a fork, combine remaining 2 T. sugar, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.  Sprinkle over batter.  Bake for 1 hour.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy!!