This is a yummy recipe that Clayton begged me to get from a friend in my ward after she made them at a party we went to.
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 skinless boneless chicken breast half
2 Tbsp. minced green onion
2 Tbsp. minced red bell pepper
1/3 C. corn kernels
1/4 C. black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 Tbsp. diced jalapeno peppers
1/2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/3 tsp. salt
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
3/4 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 package egg roll wrappers
1. Rub 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil over chicken breast. Cook chicken in medium pan over medium heat, until meat is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in pan. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
3. Dice chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno pepper, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in cheese so that it melts.
4. Spoon even amounts of mixture into each wrapper (about 1 Tbsp.) Fold ends of wrapper, and then roll tightly around mixture. Moisten edges with water and seal shut.
5. Then to finish, you can either deep fry them for a few minutes until they are golden brown. Or, put egg rolls on a cookie sheet, brush with a bit of oil, and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes.
Ok, here's my 2 cents. If you know me at all, you will know that of course I did NOT put in jalapenos. I actually substituted a little can of diced mild green chilis for the jalapenos. For Clayton's sake, I did not add the spinach. And I left out the cayenne pepper and added a few more shakes of chili powder. I baked them on the cookie sheet, which I liked because frying things is a pain. Anyhow, these egg rolls are very tasty and pretty easy to make. Clayton and I enjoyed them very much.
6 comments:
Why in the world would you leave out spinach? Is Clayton weird or something?
yes he is weird. he doesn't like spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumbers, artichokes and much more. Basically he doesn't like most vegetables, especially those that are really good for you.
what a weirdo. Oh, Aaron swears there's a guy in our ward that is Clayton's twin. I'll have to try and guess who it is this weekend, because I'm sure he'll look a lot different than when playing basketball.
I'm not a huge fan either, but even I can handle 2 tablespoons of spinach!!! I'll have to try these, of course with my own adjustments!!
If Clayton liked them well enough to beg for the recipe, I think you could leave in the spinach and just not say anything. Lots of us will eat things that are good for us if we don't know that it's there--you know, like squash slices under the pepperoni...
I'll definitely give this recipe a try.
Gross Mom, that's just gross.
Post a Comment