Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Honey, what's for dinner?

Tonight I made Spicy Thai Beef Curry, but added my own little touch to the recipe. (I believe I've posted it before...) I went pretty well along with the recipe, until I came to Thai red curry paste. All I had in my pantry was some regular yellow curry powder. Curry powder will burn and turn rancid if you cook it the wrong way, but if you add water to the powder until it's pasty, you can mix it in and it will be fine. Go figure.

The next thing I changed was the omission of Fish Sauce. This I did for a couple of reasons: 1. I don't have any, and didn't want to buy a bottle just for 1 tablespoon of the stuff - it's not cheap!
2. Fish sauce just sounds wrong

Other than that, I cooked it up according to the directions, made some Jasmine rice, and it was fabulous! It wasn't spicy at all, and had nice flavor. I'm growing up and learning to try new things. Yeah me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to "make it your own!" (yeah, so I watched American Idol tonight ;) I have to say you will NEVER catch me making anything that requires fish sauce. No way. No how.

Brenda Sue said...

Yeah, you two are weird!! I mean, how can you not love fish!?! Especially with Dad as a father?! It just doesn't make any sense.