Well, I decided I'd better add something to this too. So, I've got a wonderful recipe for the best deep dish pizza ever. I say it's the best because it's easy, inexpensive, and delicious. No meat included, so I don't have to worry about defrosting something. Also, I have a hard time incorporating vegetables like spinach into my meals because I'm going through a cooking slump--by the time I actually decide that I'd better make dinner, I have absolutely no motivation to do more than the bare minimum, and that usually means no side dishes except for warming up a jar of green beans. Having a busy two year old that demands my full attention and being 6 months pregnant, doesn't help with the motivation issue. So, here is my request: please give suggestions for easy & inexpensive meals (my favorite meat is chicken) that include veggies & less prep time, with relatively "normal" ingredients--some of your recipes can be a little too exotic for me, Berta. I'd love some great crock-pot recipes if anyone has some good ones. With all that, here's your pizza!
Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza
Filling:
4 oz. can of mushrooms
½ c onion
1 garlic clove
1 tsp dried oregano
10 oz. pkg frozen spinach
1 ½ c pizza sauce (or spaghetti sauce if you don't have pizza sauce)
1 14.5 oz can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ c grated parmesan
Crust:
1/3 c + 1 Tbsp cornmeal (divided)
1 ½ c flour
1 pkg yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
2/3 c warm water
¼ c olive oil
Cook mushrooms, onion, garlic & oregano. Stir in spinach and ½ the pizza sauce. Remove from heat. Mix rest of pizza sauce and tomatoes in a separate bowl. Coat a deep casserole pan with oil and 1 Tbsp cornmeal. Mix flour and 1/3 cup cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. Add water and oil. Stir until dough forms a ball. Knead until smooth and elastic. Roll out and press in pan. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese over the crust. Top with filling, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and tomato mix. Bake 30 minutes at 425 degrees and top with parmesan.
4 comments:
I have expensive taste in food, what can I say? At least I don't have any recipes that include black or white truffles. That would be a problem. I'll go through my files and see what I can find for you that's quick and easy. We LOVE spinach at our house!
This sounds good - I'll have to try it maybe over the weekend. Of course I'll only put mushrooms on Rob's half.... blech!
This is a great dish! Bob has requested that next time I add some meat (hamburger, pepperoni, whatever). He also suggested adding sliced olives...his half only!
I used an 8x8 pan when I made this. It worked, but was REALLY thick. Next time I'll use my 8x11 pan. There will still be plenty of crust to fit that pan. The crust is quite good, by the way.
This recipe reheats (microwave) surprisingly well, too.
I made this last night, and it was great. I used an 8x8 pan, too, and I liked the thick crust. Of course Clayton objected to the spinach, so next time I am going to blend it into smaller pieces, and I added pepperoni. And I didn't put in the canned tomatoes. Overall, it was delicious!
Post a Comment