Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Strawberry recipes from our cruise

These were 2 of my favorites from our cruise:

Chilled Strawberry Bisque
(The recipe I got from our waitress was in metric and for 100 servings, so this is converted and cut by 1/8 or so. I think if you rounded to more round number, you would be fine.)

2.2 lbs. frozen strawberry topping
.825 lbs. fresh strawberries
25 oz. strawberry fruit syrup (you could probably get away with 20oz.)
2 oz. lemon juice
1/2 Liter of vanilla ice cream

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth and keep refrigerated. Serve chilled and garnish with julienne of fresh mint if desired.




Strawberry Meringue Cups
This was my favorite. I had 4-5 of these.
(8 servings)

4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Dash salt
1 cup sugar

2 cups heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced

Place egg white in a mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
Drop into mounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Shape into 4-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Store in an airtight container.
In a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Just before serving, spoon into meringue shells. Top with strawberries.

6 comments:

Carla and crew said...

yea! Thanks for sharing - this stuff is great!!!

Ruth Sagers said...

I was an eye-witness, or shall I say, "mouth-witness" to Eric & Shelene's attempts at cooking their cruise food, and boy, what a great tasting attempt it was. And they sent us home with extra strawberry cup thingys, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Unknown said...

Yippee!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, and isn't it funny that the strawberry bisque was served as an appetizer?

R & S said...

you're right berta--i don't think strawberry topping, strawberry syrup, and ice cream qualify as an appetizer.

Eric Westover said...

It was a sad day when I finished off the last of the meringue cups :( We'll just have to make them again sometime soon.