Friday, February 19, 2010

Ginger Creams

Here's a blast from the past... I'm sure my siblings will remember these soft cookies I've recently rediscovered, thanks to Mom and a case of dessert burn-out. (*Somehow* this recipe did not make it into the family cookbook...) I served these for Rob's game and brought some in to work the next day... they were DEVOURED. Sadly, there are only 2 left, and I have an itch to make lemon pudding just to eat the cookies with it. 2 just won't do. Guess I'll have to make more cookies!

Thanks Mom!

Ginger Creams

1 c shortening
1 c brown sugar
3/4 c molasses
3/4 c hot water (note to self: Don't start the mixer immediately after adding water - you will regret making the mess you'll have to clean up.)
2 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
4 c flour

Mix ingredients til well combined. Batter will be very sticky. Bake in oven set to 350 for 10-15 minutes (check after 10 minutes) on a well-greased cookie sheet. Frost and dip in finely chopped nuts, if desired.

Frosting:
2 c powdered sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla or orange flavoring or lemon juice

I happened to have some leftover cream cheese frosting, so that is what I used and they were SO GOOD. I will have to try lemon flavored next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if I remember these...

Rhonda Shurtleff said...

i do, and now i want some. too bad i don't want to go to the store to buy more molasses. i used up all of mine a couple weeks ago making gingerbread cake w/ lemon sauce! yum.