Tuesday, July 7, 2009

black beans and rice

I have been craving a Portuguese sausage - Linguisa, along with some black beans and rice. One of our local grocery stores used to stock Linguisa, but I haven't been able to find it in ages. So today I went on a quest to find it - drove a little farther than I normally would, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Brazilian Beans
2 cups of cooked beans
2 tablespoons of oil
1 small chopped onion
1 clove of crushed garlic
1-2 cup(s) of water
1 bay leaf
parsley and spring onion (optional)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 dash of black pepper

1. Sauté the onion and the garlic in hot oil.
2. Add the beans, the water, all the seasonings and stir well.
3. Bring it to a boil under medium heat until the liquid is thicker.
4. Put the beans in a bowl and serve it with Brazilian style rice.

Brazilian style rice
1 tablespoon of oil
1 (small) chopped onion
1 (small) clove of crushed garlic
1 cup of rice
1 1/2 cup of boiling water
1 teaspoon of salt

1. Sauté the onion and the garlic in hot oil.
2. Add the rice and stir-fry well.
3. Add the water and the salt.
4. Let the water boil for some minutes.
5. When the water level drops, cover the pan and lower the heat.
6. When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let the rice rest for about 10 minutes.
7. Put the rice in a bowl and serve it.

Add some linguisa sausage and EAT!!

2 comments:

Linda Westover said...

The beans sound really good. Does the rice cook about the length of time that you do for steamed rice?

Unknown said...

I cooked my rice for about 15 minutes - just followed the instructions on the package. Everyone in the family loved it, and doubling the recipe allowed Aaron and myself to have it for lunch today. Adding the sausage really is a good touch - it's worth it if you can find it. It comes fully cooked, so I just sliced it and threw it in to warm with the beans.