I haven't posted for a while, so here's two recipes. My friend Audrey made this for Bunko last month, and I was pleasantly surprised when A) I actually tried it; and B) it was yummy! The Chop Che wasn't bad either, even with the zucchini (Mom would be so proud).
Bulgoki (or Bulgogi)
Beef or chicken
Bulgoki sauce (enough to marinate your meat)
Steamed white sticky rice
Red leaf lettuce
I usually buy a London broil, 2-3 lbs worth. Cut the meat thinly into strips. (With chicken, just cut into cubes). Marinate in Bulgoki sauce for up to 8-9 hours. I have had a hard time finding sauces around here. I used a sauce from Target called “Annie Chun’s Korean Barbeque”. As long as the sauce says “Korean barbeque” you should be ok, but if you want to make sure you’ve got a good one then find a sauce that says “bulgoki” or “bulgogi” on it.
Cook marinated meat in a pan on your stovetop on med-high to high. It is supposed to be cooked quickly (which is why it is cut into thin strips). Cook leftover marinade for more sauce.
Serve with sticky white rice and red leaf lettuce.
Chop Che
½ lb. sausage (I use Jimmy Dean’s reduced fat pork sausage)
1+ cup carrots cut into matchsticks
1+ cup zucchini cut into matchsticks
1 med. onion chopped
3-4 stalks of green onion chopped
2 bunches bean threads (bean noodles)
1/3 cup Bulgoki sauce
¼ soy sauce
1-2 cups spinach chopped
pepper to taste
Brown sausage. Add carrots, zucchini, onion, green onion and cook until zucchini and onion begin to go transparent (you don’t want the zucchini to break down too much).
Meanwhile, cook bean threads according to directions. Rinse with lukewarm water when they’re done so they don’t become mushy. Cut with kitchen scissors or two knives so that noodles are more like 2-3 inches long.
Add noodles to meat and vegetables, and mix together well. Add Bulgoki sauce, soy sauce, and pepper. Stir for 5 minutes to let sauces mix in well. Add spinach and let sit on low for 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, so the spinach can cook down.
Notes: Vegetables amounts are estimates - add whatever looks good to you. Same goes for the sauce, if you like it more or less saucy. I have found bean threads at most grocery store. They are sometimes called Saifun, but it will also say bean threads on there somewhere. They are in the asian section near the rice noodles for pad thai, etc.
2 comments:
Sounds good. Bulgoki was definately the dish that all Americans liked the best in Korea. I have another recipe for it that I'll have to post sometime.
Just in case anyone is interested, I have a good recipe for Bulgogi sauce. Probably not authentic Korean, but I sure like it!
Post a Comment