Monday, May 7, 2012

1 down, 20 days to go

Today is the first day of my hypoallergenic elimination diet. No, I don't think that I have any food allergies, so that is not the reason for doing it. I don't eat that horribly, but I could stand to cut down on a few things. I also could stand to lose a couple of pounds, so that is a motivator too. So for the next 20 days I will be eliminating the following from my diet: gluten, all dairy, including eggs, red meat (pork too), corn, soy, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, citrus, sugar, and caffeine. What does that leave?  Most veggies and fruits, beans, brown rice, rice milk, chicken, fresh fish, and other tasteless things.
Day 1 went surprisingly well, aside from the raging headache from caffeine withdrawl. I ate my fruit and veggie smoothie for breakfast, and had some chicken with hummus and grapes for lunch, veggies too. Dinner was the remainder of the chicken "salad" with some spinach. I snacked on a brown rice cake with some almond butter. Almond butter is about the blandest thing in the world. So my one cheat was to add a little bit of honey to the almond butter to make it palatable. Fun times. I am very proud of myself, especially considering the leftover rhubarb strawberry custard pie staring at me all day. I can do this.

5 comments:

Linda Westover said...

Tomatoes and peppers? What's wrong with them?
More power to you though, if you can stick to such a strict diet. I'm impressed!

Ruth Sagers said...

Yeah, what's wrong with citrus?

Unknown said...

This is traditionally meant for people that think they might have food allergies. And truth be told, even if you don't have any outward signs of a reaction, your body might react to something internally. I may modify it slightly to better meet my needs, but I'll try and stick with it as much as possible.

R & S said...

wow. i don't know if i could handle 3 weeks of eating nothing. i'd love the weight loss, but i'd hate being that limited. i sure wish i had enough will power to try it though. i'm the type that adds the honey (or cheese) to make it palatable...to everything! good luck!!

R & S said...

so, i need an update. how are you holding up with this??