If any of you ever get around to visiting us in Portland (hint, hint), we may be obliged to take you to our favorite local German restaurant. Well, probably not, unless you're Mom and Dad, but we'll at least make our favorite thing from their menu...DILL PICKLE SOUP!! Before you turn your nose up at such a thought, you have to believe me when I say, "try it, you might like it. If you try it, you might like it!" So Mom and Dad, this one's for you. We're making it for dinner tonight, so I'll be sure to take pictures and post an update on the success.
Dill Pickle Soup
Yields 6-8 servings
3 T. butter
3 oz. onion cut into julienne strips then into thirds
1/2 C. white wine
1/2 C. all-purpose flour
4 C. water
1-1/2 C. marinade from pickles
4 large pickles cut into julienne strips, then into thirds
2 t. dried dill weed
1/2 C. whipping cream
1/4 t. poultry seasoning
salt/pepper, to taste
Melt butter in large pot.
Add onion and sauté until soft.
Add wine and continue cooking until almost all liquid evaporates.
Reduce heat and stir in flour, do not brown.
Combine water and pickle marinate.
Whisk into mixture all at once.
Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until soup thickens.
Add pickles and dill.
Stir in cream.
Add poultry seasoning and salt/pepper to taste.
6 comments:
Okay, yum. I didn't have quite enough dill pickle juice, so it wasn't as tangy as in the restaurant, but it was still good!
Sounds weird!
I thought the lady at the restaurant said they used a chicken broth base for their version. After the holidays I'll have to give it a try. It really is a fabulous soup!
I thought about substituting chicken stock for the water - think I'll try that next time.
I think it sounds yummy!
I can't wait to try it for my bookclub! my family wouldn't even begin to think of trying this!
Post a Comment