Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Savory

Some of you will I'm sure turn up your nose at this recipe just from reading the name. We really liked it. In fact, I was told I could make it any time I want -- and that rarely happens. This is my adaptation of a slow cooker recipe.

Savory Bean Spinach Soup
1 14-oz. can chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2-3 cups stewed tomatoes, crushed a bit
1 15--oz. can white or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 c. uncooked rice
1/2 c. finely chopped onions
1/2 - 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
4-5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
Parmesan cheese, grated

Combine all ingredients except the spinach and cheese in a 3 qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil and then let simmer, covered, about 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
Stir spinach into the soup right before serving. Serve with grated Parmesan.

Makes about 4 main-dish servings


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too bad my super nice, expensive crockpot just broke!

Linda Westover said...

A crockpot is not a requirement -- in fact, I can't quite imagine what it would be like if you did let it cook for 6-7 hrs. The flavors seemed perfectly blended in the 25 minutes I let my batch cook.