Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Corn & Black Bean Salsa

Mom! Dad! I bought my first can of whole beans today - intentionally!! A friend of mine introduced me to this yummy salsa (I was so brave to try it, I know!)... she usually adds at least one other kind of bean, as well as diced avocado, but I only had one and was a nice wife and made Rob his favorite tomato/avocado salad while I was making the salsa.

Here is my version, keep in mind I kept the portions somewhat small, knowing I was going to be the only one eating it. I'm ashamed yet delighted to admit I ate the whole bowl full myself (with lime Tostidos) - it was delicious!! A perfect summer snack!

fresh corn - I used the kernels from one ear of corn
half a red pepper, diced (thanks Mom, I relieved you of the red pepper in your fridge while you were on your trip - wouldn't have wanted it to go bad, now would we?)
half a red onion, diced
a good handful of cilantro, chopped
half a can of black beans, rinsed really well! (that black juice stuff is gross)
lime juice
salt/pepper

Diced tomatoes would have been good to add too... since I also scavenged Dad's garden, I should have thought to use one of his... oh well, next time!

3 comments:

Ruth Sagers said...

This is pretty similar to the black bean salsa that goes along with the "spicy mango chicken" that I posted a few weeks/months ago. As far as salsas go, this is one of the few that I will eat. Hooray for beans, they are good!

Rhonda Shurtleff said...

that's one of my fav's too!

Unknown said...

I'll even eat the stuff - my taste buds have certainly matured!