Monday, February 9, 2009

Creamy Basil Gnocchi

Carly and I found this recipe on the back of a package of Tillamook Italian style cheese. I made a couple of changes to add my own touch of flavor, and I have to admit it turned out FABULOUS! And for those of you who've never tried gnocchi before, this would be a great introduction. Carly proclaimed gnocchi to be her new favorite food. Gnocchi can be found in the pasta aisle - it's a tiny potato dumpling. Yum.

Creamy Basil Gnocchi
Serves 6 as an appetizer or 3 as a main dish

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 chicken bouillon cube (or a little dash of chicken stock)
1 (1 pound) package Gnocchi
1/2 cup Italian style cheese

Put a large pot of water on to boil for the gnocchi.

Place cream, basil, pepper, garlic and bouillon in 2 quart saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a low simmer and cook 10 minutes to thicken. Meanwhile, prepare the gnocchi according to package directions. (It only takes 3 minutes to cook!)

Remove cream mixture from heat and slowly stir in cheese. Add drained gnocchi and stir to coat. Serve in bowls and top with garnish of fresh diced tomatoes and basil.

Here's what I did different:
I doubled the cream mixture and it made enough for 3 packages of gnocchi. Plenty for the family to eat tonight, Carly to have seconds, and leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

To the cream mixture, I added 1 (14 oz) can of Italian style diced tomatoes, drained. Just another way to get more veggies in my diet :-)

To top it all off, I diced up some pancetta and sauteed it until it was crispy and golden. The added crunch on top is marvelous! FYI, you can substitute bacon for the pancetta - my tastebuds are just spoiled.

1 comment:

Brenda Sue said...

I LOVE gnocchi... Have a recipe on how to make it too... Somewhere....